Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rev Cynthia Park Retirement Service

The closing words from the last sermon of Cynthia at Dorset Gardens Mathodist Church: I saw a vision - it was last Thursday at 11 o'clock in the morning. I was standing at the top of the stairs, looking down over the city and the bright blue sky broke open over my head and the Spirit of God breathed on my eyes and my eyes were opened: I saw Brighton, the holy city, coming down out of heaven shining like a rare jewel, sparkling like clear water in the eye of the sun from Shoreham to Peacehaven, from Hangleton to Moulsecoomb, and all the sickness was gone from the city, and there were no more suburbs and squats, no difference between Hove and Whitehawk. I saw the sea running with the water of life, as bright as crystal, as clear as glass, the children of Brighton swimming in it. They had no more bruises to hide. And the Spirit showed me the tree of life growing on the Old Steine. I looked out and there were no more homeless people and crowding into our shelters. There were no more women working the streets of St James; there were no more drunks throwing up in London Road; HIV and AIDS were things of the past. There were no more crack pushers; there were no more racist attacks, no more attacks on gay people. No more rapists, no more stabbings, no more Nazi graffiti because there was no more hate. And I saw women walking safe at night and the men were full of passion and gentleness and none of the children were ever abused because the people's lives were full of justice and joy. I saw an old women throw back her head and laugh like a young girl. And when the sky closed back her laughter rang in my head for days and days and would not go away. That is what I saw, looking over the city, looking up from the place of sorrow, and I knew then that there would be a day when the kingdom will come. Yes, I know, God's kingdom will come.

No comments: